Indonesian beef rendang, as voted by CNN in 2011, is the best food in the world. Rendang is slow cooked beef, and is cooked with various herbs and spices, giving it a tender and rich flavour. It originates from the Padang region in Sumatra.
1. Blend together chillies, shallots, garlic, candlenut, galangal and ginger until it becomes paste.
2. Cut the meat into 8cm x 8cm cubes
3. Saute the paste until brown and mix together with the rendang seasoning mix, stir well for roughly 5 minutes.
4. Put lemongrass, Salam leaves and lime leaves and the cinnamon stick, mix it well for another 5 minutes.
5. Pour coconut milk, and keep stirring until you can see the oils separated from coconut milk.
6. Add the meat and cook over medium heat. Let the coconut milk come to a boil and keep stirring for another 30 minutes.
7. Reduce the heat to low and let the rendang simmer for another 2-3 hours or until the meat becomes tender and dark brown.
1kg of beef
1lt of coconut milk
1-2 Cayenne chillies
4 pieces shallot
4 pieces garlic
2 Salam leaves (Indonesian Bay leaves)
2 lime leaves
1 stick of cinnamon
2 pack of rendang seasoning mix