Wentelteefjes is equivalent to French Toast, but the French call it Pain Perdu. For the Dutch version use white square sandwich loaf; it works well with bread that is a few days old. This is a fun dish to prepare together with children.
1. In a bowl, beat the egg and stir in cinnamon and milk
2. Dip the slices of bread in the egg mixture. Stack the slices on top of each other in the bowl so they absorb all the liquid
3. In a large frying pan, heat the butter over medium heat.
4. Fry the slices on both sides until golden brown
5. Serve the wentelteefjes sprinkled with the sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
150ml/5 fl oz milk
4 slices of bread (square sandwich loaf)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar